This scramble is part of a very exciting traverse. We started at Mt. Ward
, then a traverse to Allison Peak
, and another traverse to Window Mountain
, including a visit to the Window itself.
The weather was perfectly gorgeous. Sunny with some clouds and a gentle cool breeze. Our overall roundtrip took 8:30hrs, including a half hour stay on each summit.
From Mt. Ward, I decided to go left and below the first false summit, while Ian stayed on the ridge.
(3) We ended up meeting just after the first false summit. This is the best spot to take a shot of Window Mountain
and the Window.
(1) These are the second false summit (left) and Allison Peak. The plan here was not to bother going up the false one.
This is the ridge from the first and second false summits (most difficult). If you decided to stay on this ridge, you would expose yourself to a lot of drops and overhangs. We had to avoid these from time to time by lowering down on the right.
(1) On the final ascent to the summit... a very exciting time, but dammit we forgot to look for the Allison Window.
(2) Here's 2 of 3 after 1:30hrs. The register here still contains Alan Kane's ascent in 1993. The view... I like Mt. Ward's better. Now we're off to Window Mountain
to complete the traverse.
Again, dammit we forgot to look for the Allison Window.
(3) Looking at The Seven Sisters.