Page 1 ·
My 2nd day had 9hrs of ridge hiking. The longest summit to summit traverse I've done in Korea. From Hyangjeokbong Peak (1614m/5295') - Jungbong Peak (1594m/5230') - Muryongsan Peak (1492m/4895') - Sakkatbong Peak (1419m/4656') and finally to Namdeogyusan Peak (1507m/4944'). This time includes summit stops and an hour lunch at Sakkatgoljae Shelter. In addition to 9hrs of traversing the ridge, I still had to descend down to Yeonggak Ticket Booth for another 1:45hrs.
(1) I wasn't really counting on getting up early because I thought of staying at the other shelter for another night. It was hard to stay asleep though when 20 other people in the same room were loud and in a hurry to catch the sunrise. So I got up and enjoyed the sunrise as well... And I'm glad I did.
(2) After having my nasty oatmeal for breakfast, I packed and hit the trail for my next peak.
(3) This is Jungbong Peak (1594m/5230'). It took me 15mins to get here from Hyangjeokbong.
(1) Looking back to Hyangjeokbong from Jungbong Peak.
(2) Looking forward to my remaining summits and many more hours of hiking.
(3) This mountain is well signed. It surely gave me confidence during this traverse.
Rest stop at 1380m/4528'. The trail to here from Jungbong involved a lot of elevation loss and some flat trails. The trails were mostly covered by thick bushes.
(3) This is Muryongsan Peak (1492m/4895'). It took me 3hrs to get here from Jungbong Peak.
(1) These are the remaining summits I planned to bag. Sakkatgoljae Shelter (not visible) is below and before Sakkatbong. The main objective here would be Namdeogyusan Peak.
(2) The trail from here was covered by these bags of rocks. These are used to create the rock steps to assist hikers.
(3) Looking back to Muryongsan Peak.
(1) Approaching Sakkatbong Peak and nearing Sakkatgoljae Shelter.
This is Sakkatgoljae Shelter. It took me 40mins to get here from Muryongsan Peak and it's about 10.5kms from Hyangjeokbong Shelter. I first planned to stay here for the night but I thought I would have enough energy and time to finish the whole course in one day. What's another 4kms?
I stayed here for an hour to cook and eat lunch... and rest.